About us: history, genealogy, Americana Catalog



Litchfield County CT

New Names for Old Places

Names of places tend to change as the years, decades, and centuries go by.  Within Litchfield County, CT and the surrounding area, especially Berkshire County, MA, over the line in New York State, and in northern Fairfield County, there are many localities, neighborhoods, roads, streets, and other landmarks whose names have changed over the years, and in some cases, have disappeared entirely.  This page represents the beginnings of a compilation of them. 

Litchfield County, CT to skip down this page to the section about Litchfield County

Dutchess and Columbia Counties, NY to skip down to the section about Columbia and Dutchess Counties, NY

To the Berkshire County, MA section to skip down to the section about southern Berkshire County, MA

There are many reasons place names change over time.  Economic development (or lack thereof), international relations, a new industry (or industrialist) who leaves a permanent mark, ethnic migrations into or out of the area, the desire to be "modern", governmental fiat, and sometimes just plain whim are some of them.  Interestingly, road names particularly have been changed -- mostly during the 1990s -- to support the 911 emergency system -- if two roads in a general area had the same (or a very similar) name, one was generally changed to something different.  Behind every place name change there is a story, and in the stories there are people. To the extent we can capture those changes now, before the backgrounds of the new names are lost, we will benefit those who are puzzling over that question 50 or 100 years from now.  

Remember, the fact that a name changed recently does NOT make it ineligible for this page.  In fact, because more people know that road by the old name, it makes it especially eligible.  Please provide input!

Your help in expanding this list is encouraged.  Simply click the Contact Between the Lakes Group! button to send us your suggestions for this page, and we'll get them on the list as soon as possible!

There have been plenty of name changes in our tri-state area over the years, and this page will try to provide information about all of them we find out about. If we have additional information about any of these name changes, including the year (or span of years) in which they happened, we'll be very happy to include that too.  If you know about place names in Litchfield, Berkshire, Columbia, or Dutchess County that have changed over the years that don't appear here yet, you can help us make this page better by letting us know about it.  We will credit all contributors by name right on this page.  

At least one township in Litchfield County was created from another, preexisting townships, that being North Canaan's separation from Canaan (albeit without changing the name of the village at the heart of North Canaan). While there have been minor adjustment of boundaries between townships in this area, other than those noted below they have not been substantial and we have made no particular effort to address them here.  

To contact us, just click this Contact us about changed place names in Litchfield County button.  If you can provide lots of information about the name change, great!!  If all you can tell us is that the old name was such-and-such, or that the new name is this-and-that, tell us anyway!


Litchfield County, CT

Town of Salisbury:

According to The Connecticut Guide (1935), the Town of Salisbury was originally called Weatogue.  The name of Salisbury was selected after the city by the same name in Wiltshire, England, when the town was incorporated in 1741.

Between the Lakes Group has a CD-ROM available about Lime Rock, a hamlet in the town of Salisbury. Click on the CD-ROM to learn more about it.  We also have a number of downloads of historical material about other locales in Salisbury.  See it on our Salisbury page.

Lime Rock: an Illustrated Walking Tour

Old Name New Name Notes
Chapinville Taconic This re-naming is said to have been initiated by the Post Office Department in order to reduce the number of post offices ending in "-ville".  At any rate, there is no real village of Taconic with the exception of the present-day Taconic Post Office and a small sporting goods business adjacent to it.  The Post Office serves the Twin Lakes area of the Town of Salisbury since the demise of the Twin Lakes Post Office.
Crooked Lake East Twin Lake (Lake Washining) "Crooked Lake" may have been the creation of a cartographer attempting to detect unauthorized copying of their map.  No evidence has surfaced of its actual use as a name for the lake.
Hammertown   Site of a former scythe manufactory, located in the area on Route 41 just south of the Massachusetts state line.  Clarion Farm is near that area today.
Joyceville   In the same general area as Hammertown, where Route 41 crosses into Massachusetts, but perhaps a bit further south, near the junction of Route 41 and Beaver Dam Road.
Twin Lakes Depot   Once a stop on the Central New England RR located where the two Twin Lakes join.  At one time the depot served tourists visiting the nearby Twin Lakes Cave as well as the vacationers on Twin Lakes and picnickers at the grove there.
Lakes Road Between the Lakes Road This road, which appears on the earliest maps after settlement of the Town of Salisbury, was known simply as "Lakes Road" well into the 19th century.  As we work on our forthcoming Twin Lakes Historical Collection we'll be researching this name change and trying to pinpoint the date.
Blake's Summit Washining Station One-time flag stop on the Central New England Railroad between the Twin Lakes Station and the Canaan Yard.  Evidently this place was located just before the CNE branches away from lake Washining toward the Housatonic River, and was created during a building boom in that area of Twin Lakes circa 1890, where the flag stop was created primarily to offload building supplies.
O'Hara's   This community on the northeast end of the larger of the Twin Lakes,  a summer place when known as O'Hara's, took its name from the O'Hara family who had one or more summer hotels here. At one time there was a Roman Catholic summer chapel in the area, but it has now become an American Orthodox church. 
Furnace Village Lakeville The Connecticut Guide, 1935.  The name referred to the iron blast furnace at that location.  Don't tell current Lakeville residents that they actually live in Furnace Village.  They don't like it!
Salmon Fell Kill (sometimes Salmon-Fell Kill) Salmon Kill The Connecticut Guide, 1935 and Sanford's 1899 map of Lime Rock
The Hollow Lime Rock The Connecticut Guide, 1935.  Specifically, "the Hollow" refers to the section of Lime Rock south of route 112.
Route 199, in the Town of Salisbury and points east US Route 44 The Connecticut Guide, 1935.  Note that the Route 199 nomenclature is still applied to the New York State highway West of Millerton, NY
Old Hill Ore Hill (now a lake -- a flooded iron ore mine, once consisting both of open pit and tunneling operations)
Ore Hill   In 1900, Ore Hill was a stop on the Central New England RR near the site of Ore Hill mine, as well as a Post Office (now consolidated with the Lakeville Post Office) and a district school.
State Line   In 1900, State Line was a stop on the Central New England RR near where US 44 now crosses from Connecticut to New York State
Bald Peak Mt. Riga The Connecticut Guide, 1935.  (presumably called Bald Peak after the trees were harvested for charcoal)
Mt. Riga   Former hamlet (with a Post Office) that ceased to exist as a year-round community with the demise of the iron furnace on top of Mount Riga.  Today it is a rustic collection of summer cabins and the remains of the last cold blast blast furnace remaining in the area.

Lamb's 3-acre Grant

Hendrick's Ore Bed

Davis Ore Bed (or Davis Mine) Sharon Historical Society Iron Industry Article
Forge Pond (on Mt. Riga) South Pond Per Ed Kirby's "Exploring the Berkshire Hills"
Barnum Avenue (in Lime Rock) White Hollow Road per Sanford's 1899 map of Lime Rock; named for the Barnum family.  The name was in use at least until 1909.
Lakeside Drive (in Lime Rock) Route 112/Lime Rock Road per Sanford's 1899 map of Lime Rock. It applies to the section of route 112 west of the bridge crossing the Salmon Kill in Lime Rock village.   Note that the lake (really a mill pond) disappeared after the flood of 1955.
Elm (Street) (in Lime Rock) Route 112/Lime Rock Road per Sanford's 1899 map of Lime Rock.  This name applied to the section of Route 112 east of the Salmon Kill bridge in Lime Rock village.  The name was in use at least until 1909.
Gallow's Hill Brinton Hill An 1853 map of the Town of Salisbury shows the "Gallow's (sic) Hill" designation.
Lincoln City   One-time village in the vicinity of Lincoln City Road in Salisbury.


Town of Sharon:

Old Name New Name Notes
Ellsworth   Once a village, now simply several houses just off Route 4 between Sharon and Cornwall Bridge.
Sackett's Farm Sharon White's History of Litchfield says that the Sharon area was referred to as Sackett's Farm during the Indian wars of the 1720s.
Caulkintown   No longer a community, recalled today only by Calkintown Road, a/k/a West Cornwall Road.


Town of Cornwall:

Old Name New Name Notes
Dudleytown Dark Entry Forest Association (private) Abandoned settlement in Cornwall about which many legends of the  supernatural exist. (Note:  on private property -- strictly enforced).
Puffingham   Former community located near the junction of Route 7 and Route 45.  Best known today as the site of the Puffingham Cemetery, now known as the Calhoun Cemetery.


Town of Canaan:

Old Name New Name Notes
South Canaan now the triangle of the junctions of Route 7, Route 63, and Barnes Road 1956 map still identifies South Canaan as a locality.
Huntsville   Located on Route 63 east of the junction with Route 126 and west of the Cobble Road intersection on the topo map of 1951
Lower City   On the 1951 topo map, located on Route 63 near Hollenbeck Pond
Lime Rock Station   This was the station used by Barnum Richardson Company to transship its railroad car wheels via the Housatonic Railroad.  The platform was built of stone (rather than the usual wood) to withstand the weight of the wheels.  Located just east of Route 7.
Meekertown   This locale name survives today only in Meekertown Brook, which joins the Hollenbeck in what was formerly Lower City, and drains Wapato Pond, just over the Norfolk line.  It was occupied, in the days of the iron industry, by charcoal burners.  One Deacon Minor, from Norfolk, visited the community and attempted to get them to accept religion and renounce their way of life.  On his return, he allegedly reported that they were "a hamlet of heathens, living in intellectual, moral, and spiritual darkness."  See tcextra.com for more information.
Canaan Falls Village Some confusion continues to exist regarding the Township of Canaan (containing Falls Village) and the Township of North Canaan (where the village of Canaan is located).  See our Canaan page for more about this.


Town of North Canaan:

Between the Lakes Group has a CD-ROM available about North Canaan.  Click on the CD-ROM to learn more about it.  There's also a free download available.

Scrap Book of North Canaan

Old Name New Name Notes
Foley   Out Clayton Road from Route 7, on the MA line.  All that is left today is a dirt road called Foley Hill Road.
Sodom and Gomorrah none These two neighborhoods were actually just over the state line in Massachusetts, although they were often associated with Canaan.


Town of Colebrook:

Old Name New Name Notes
Mill Brook   neighborhood on 1892 topo map, still present on 1951 topo map
Mill Brook Center Brook and Loon Brook This watercourse was once known as Mill Brook for its entire length, according to the Town of Colebrook website.

North Colebrook

Colebrook Center

Colebrook River

  Historic localities in Colebrook identified on the Town of Colebrook website. Robertsville was notably the place where steel boring bits used to manufacture cannon during the Revolutionary War in Salisbury were made, according to the same source.


Town of Winchester:

Between the Lakes Group has a CD-ROM available about Winchester and the City of Winsted.  Click on the CD-ROM to learn more about it.

Annals of Winchester CT

Old Name New Name Notes
Colebrook Station   On 1892 topographic map, a stop on the CNE RR between West Winsted and Norfolk
West Winsted   on 1892 topo map, NW of Winsted.  Now refers to the area just before Route 44 starts up the hill.
East Winsted   on 1892 topo map, NE of Winsted.  Now refers to the area around Northwest Connecticut Community College.
Winchester Winchester Center  
Camp Wabigoon and Camp Wahonda   On 1951 topo map, near Rowley Pond North of Winsted
Nelsons Corner   On 1951 topo map, on Route 8 north of Winsted
Mooreville   On 1951 topo map, just south of Winsted city limits
buildings on south side of Route 44 in Winsted city no longer present due to Winsted flood of 1955 still present on 1951 topo map
Camp Delaware   On 1951 topo map, on south shore of Crystal Lake
The Little Red Schoolhouse   On 1951 map, on Platt Hill road
Tor-Win Airport   On 1951 map, just north of Winchester - Torrington Town Line
Long Lake Highland Lake Shown as Long Lake on 1874 Winchester map.
Little Pond Crystal Lake Shown as Little Pond on 1874 Winchester map.
Danbury Quarter   Traditional name for the northwest quadrant of the Township; the last settled area.


Town of LitchfieldBetween the Lakes Group has republished White's History of Litchfield on CD-ROM.  CLICK HERE to view information about it.

Old Name New Name Notes
Bantam   At the time of the purchase from Native Americans, the multi-town area of which Litchfield was the center was known as "Bantam"
South-East Farms Northfield According to White, Northfield was known as South-East Farms before 1794
West Farms Milton Parish According to White, the area that became the Milton Parish was previously known as West Farms.  Note that a portion of this parish lay in the Towns of Cornwall and Goshen.
Fluteville   Locale identified by White in his "History of Litchfield," once a stop north of Thomaston on the Naugatuck Railroad.
Lavinville   Per White's History of Litchfield, a "colony" of Irish located at the foot of East Hill, centering on the home of the Lavin family.
Bantam Falls Formerly, localities in the Bantam area of the Town of Litchfield White's History of Litchfield


Town of Goshen:

Old Name New Name Notes
New Bantam Goshen White, in his History of Litchfield, reports that the original name of the Town of Goshen (prior to its settlement) was "New Bantam"


Town of Morris:

Old Name New Name Notes
Footville West Morris Per White, in his History of Litchfield


Town of Kent:

Old Name New Name Notes


Town of  New Milford:

Between the Lakes Group has a CD-ROM available about New Milford.   Click on the CD-ROM to learn more about it.

New Milford: 230 Years

Old Name New Name Notes
New Dilloway   Per "Two Centuries of New Milford" is was the locale where Roger Sherman and his brother settled
Pug Lane Park Lane Per "Two Centuries of New Milford"
South Farm   Per "Two Centuries" this is the lower part of New Milford
Pleasant Valley Lanesville Per "Two Centuries of New Milford"
Jerusalem   A hamlet appearing on the 1906 topographic map, but submerged under the New Milford branch of Candlewood Lake.


Town of Norfolk:  Between the Lakes Group is in the process of re-publishing Norfolk materials for download.  See our Litchfield County page for more information.

Old Name New Name Notes
Summit   On old CNE RR, south of Norfolk village on 1892 topographic map. 
South Norfolk   At south border of township on 1892 map.


Town of TorringtonBetween the Lakes Group is re-publishing information about Torrington for download.  See our Torrington page for more information about it.

Old Name New Name Notes
Newfield   on 1892 topographic map
Daytonville   Just north of Torrington city on 1892 topographic map
West Torrington   Just west of Torrington city on 1892 topographic map
Wolcottville Torrington Present-day Torrington's original name was Wolcottville



nearby Dutchess and Columbia Counties, NY

Old Name New Name Notes
Boston Corners, in the Town of Mt. Washington, MA Boston Corners, NY Due to geographic isolation from Massachusetts, annexed to NY State, effective April 13, 1857
Weed Mine (Post Office and Ore Bed)   On the Ancram/Copake border, per Eugene McIntyre
Mt. Riga   Former stop on the Harlem RR between Millerton NY and Boston Corners.  Actually located in the Harlem Valley valley below Mount Riga.
Coleman's   Former stop on the Harlem RR between Sharon Station and Millerton



nearby Berkshire County, MA

Old Name New Name Notes
Sodom and Gomorrah (none) You might surmise that if there was a locality named Gomorrah, there must have been one named Sodom somewhere nearby.  You would be correct -- Sodom remains the name of a crossroads partially in North Canaan, CT, best located by following Sodom Road from Route 7.  Gomorrah, however, has vanished, at least from the maps.
Boston Corners, MA Boston Corners, NY (see Dutchess/Columbia County NY section)
Indian Town Stockbridge John Chandler dates this change as 1739
Taconic Mountain Mt. Washington Chandler dates this change as 1779
Yokum Richmont Per Chandler, dated 1765
Richmont Richmond Per Chandler, dated 1785


Please provide additions!  Click the Contact us! button to go to the page to send us an e-mail or letter.

"Ghost Towns" is the name of a website we're happy to recommend.  These folks have made a specialty of just those throughout the US.  If you're interested in places whose names have changed, you'll likely enjoy the material on their website.  It's  definitely worth a look.  Ghost Towns of the USA to visit it!

Histories of Litchfield County, CT to go to the page for our Litchfield County, CT project

Historic iron industry to go to our page about the historic iron industry in this area


Visit our BLOG



Find us on Facebook

Contacting us:

Between the Lakes Group is located at 372 Between the Lakes Road, in Salisbury, Litchfield County, Connecticut.  More specifically, we're in Taconic -- a hamlet  in the Twin Lakes area of the Town of Salisbury.  Questions about us or about our products?  Go to our Frequently Asked Questions page.  

Postal address:
Post Office Box 13
          Taconic, CT  06079-0013
Electronic mail:
Please Contact us to contact us via e-mail